Canine Daycare Attendant (Full-time)
- Geneva, IL
- Job Type
DePAW University, Canine Campus, Inc. in Geneva, IL is looking for pet professionals to join our team due to expansion.
Job Summary Overview
As much as we Love dogs, some think a Daycare Attendant is a position for those who like to play with dogs all day. Applicants must know that any position in a facility like ours is hard work. It can be physically & mentally exhausting during busy times. We want candidates, who take this position as a LONG-TERM career in animal behavior. We want our staff to want to continue their knowledge base on canine behavior, leash handling skills, and in pet first aid/safety. Knowing advanced socialization skills (especially for difficult dogs) goes hand in hand with our level of seriousness and knowledge we expect from our staff in daycare. We do have a hand in a number of rehabbing rescue/shelter dogs that our loving clients are willing to invest in their pet's well being and for a better adjustment into society.
- Our daycare staff continues their education through workshops, seminars, conference, etc. Besides the behavioral experts we like to create in our staff, the realization of the everyday you should know:
- Dogs get/are dirty
- they can be loud and stubborn
- messes can be undesirable to clean up
- chances of getting jumped on, scratched or bit at some point is higher than other career options
- you will be bit, just a matter of when
- detailed cleaning is extremely important in this industry and keeping the spread of disease & sickness is serious
- you have to interact with pet parents with specific requests
At the same time we want to educate the public as being the experts in the industry and like to share and convey our knowledge. Our daycare staff is also vital in attending some of our booths at events and chat with potential clients. The responsibilities go much further than playing & loving on the dogs. DePAW's staff #1 priority is safety... preventative safety. Therefore you need to know what you're looking for and how to react. Although we are quickly growing, it is important to us to maintain a family atmosphere and relationships with employees and clients.
As we educate the public and grow creatively, it is our goal to change the pay level for the industry. To reach this goal we want employees who invest in themselves and in us. In return we work towards having the ideal career for you: Good pay, rewarding benefits, doing what your love in the industry you love - With animals.
If hired, your job will be primarily to ensure the safety of every dog under your care. You will be taught to read canine body language and understand canine group dynamics. We are looking for serious minded, contentious individuals who are always wanting to learn and improve.
- Oversee and control large groups of dogs in daycare and look after their safety
- Observe & prevent incidents from brewing/starting. Know the signs ahead of time
- Oversee and be able to read the dog's’ interactions with each other
- Be aware of the dogs overall general health and know anatomy
- Responsible for maintaining 1st Impressions every time for client tours: Physical esthetics, greetings, quality
- Discuss dog related topics with clients and/or about their dog; informatively and educationally
- Events & Tours: Professionally convey information to existing and prospective clients on site and at community booth events
- Heavy cleaning regimen; including cleaning up after dogs, scrubbing, mopping, spray outdoors, tons of sanitizing and wiping down, dishes, filling dog bowls, rinsing dogs, etc.
- Calm, professional, positive attitude and handle conflict resolution with dogs and team members
- Must be accountable to see through projects/requests/issues from beginning from to end
- Some administration duties: notes, charts, computer entry
- Leadership and Management positions should be able to help create and establish written procedures and policies, as well as motivate staff. Setup & maintain a structured environment
- Confident dog handling/leash skills
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and ability to resolve minor issues
- Great multi-tasker & great organizational skills
- Ability to read dogs body language
- Professional, positive, high energy, warm personality
- Diffusing stressful situations and keeping calm to work through
- Pro-active with planning ahead & foreseeing
- Medical training/knowledge
- We want candidates who will continue educating themselves on their own and with the company on areas within the pet industry. Not those who just want to.
- May have to substitute/help out in other areas of facility example daycare, kennel, bathing
- Must be able to work nights/weekends/holidays/summers
- Due to nature of the job and having animals overnight and in our care 24 hours a day, 365 days year; We need someone who is either local or does not mind driving in if needed, last minute, cover a shift, do a split shift in winter weather without it being an issue.
- We are looking for reliable people only, that do not cut corners in their work.
- You must be able to handle 150 lb dog and lift at least 60 lbs without struggling.
- You must be able to handle big, high energy dogs & be able to or learn to read body language: whether they don't feel well or they're bit you on way out of the run.
- Reminder: mandatory Holidays, Summers, & weekends.
- No Snow nor Rain nor other bad weather conditions will keep employees away from getting to the facility to care for the pets staying with us.
- Live animals rely on the punctuality and the excellent attendance of employees; therefore there is low tolerance for tardiness and absenteeism
There are 2 shifts per day (excluding Night Kennel Position) for all DePAW departments:
Mon-Sun store hours: 6:00 am - 8:00 pm
Mon-Sun: 6:00 am - 1:30 pm and 1:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Holidays: 7:00 am - 1:00 pm and 4:30 pm - 10:00 pm
- Pay based on experience; Raises & other perks based on performance, loyalty, and accomplishments
- Opportunities will arise for kennel staff to learn & par-take in daycare so they are cross trained (after their position has been established)
- You can expect it to take up to a full year to be trained and completely confident & fluent in your department.
Working with animals definitely has it’s rewards (and it is why we do it), but because they have teeth it can be dangerous. They rely on us to care for them. We need someone who has a lot of energy, honest & kind to animals = trust is a big deal. Knowing this is labor intensive and hard work and are committed to the animals as well as the company is who we are looking for to join our team! Once earned & after time passed, occasionally bonuses have been known to occur.
While this might seem like the job means you play with puppies all day, it is actually a very demanding and serious job. There are opportunities to play with dogs, but there’s also lots of dog poo, urine and hair to clean up. Handling large dogs on leash is a daily job requirement. You will walk several miles per shift. But yes, you will get to love on dogs.
- Handling dogs pulling, jumping and barking.
- Must be able to lift at least 60 pounds.
- Must be able to stand and walk 8 -10 hours per work shift.
- Must not have any physical or mental limitations And any/all other types of conditions or limitations must be presented prior to hire. We take your safety seriously too and working in a room with a group of 30 dogs, there are always risks.
- Be comfortable around ALL types of breeds and sizes of dogs, cats & other small mammals.
Compensation based on experience.
Perks: Continuing educational opportunities, discounts on retail & services, other misc perks we do throughout the year, bonus opportunities and bring your dog to work – means you spend more time with your dog(s)!
Full time positions offer medical, dental, hearing and vision insurance, paid vacation. Pay depends on experience and your value to the company; what you bring to the table and where can you take the company. We are looking for a well-oiled team/family that will be here long term. We can teach and train the right person on some of the duties and requirements noted above.
- High school or equivalent
- We will train the right person. Experience in the pet industry a PLUS
Job Type: Full-time
- Must have full availability
Posted 30+ days ago