- St. Catharines, ON
- Job Type
- Salary: $11.40 /hour
We are looking to fill three (3) internships for the Community Gardens.
Overview of the Position
As contact person(s) for the garden, Community Garden Interns are responsible for ensuring the garden is properly maintained as outlined in the Greening Niagara Community Garden Guidelines, and the appropriate Municipal Agreement. These responsibilities will be shared between Coordinators who may, in turn, choose to delegate specific tasks.
In recognition of their contribution to the management of the garden, interns have priority in choosing from available plots within their garden.
- Garden Recordkeeping
- Collect annual dues for plots and provide receipts for garden fees, if requested
- Garden Operation and Maintenance.
- Assign plots from the wait list as they become available
- Organize regular work party sessions for the garden and provide a list of tasks to be accomplished during each session
- Communicate with gardeners regarding proper upkeep of plots and work to resolve issues that may arise with or between gardeners, participation in scheduled work party sessions and completion of tasks related to plot/garden maintenance.
- Deal proactively with any issues that may arise within the garden, e.g. vandalism, animals, and other disruptions to garden activities.
- Monitor, maintain and respond to emails
- Attend Garden Coordinator meetings as scheduled
- Public outreach & communication
- Liaise with the Niagara Sustainability Initiative Management Staff, attend weekly meetings, attend NSI board meetings if requested, and if interested, refer to NSI executive director issues that cannot be resolved within the local garden.
To be eligible for this Canada Summer Jobs position, students must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act ; and,
- be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Skills Needed to Succeed
- Must be comfortable working outdoors and completing garden-related tasks. This will include some manual labour.
- Positive and problem-solving attitude.
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Excellent Communication - oral & written.
- Strong Attention to detail and organization.
- Passion for environmental issues, for community-based leadership, and for improving the environmental sustainability of Niagara.
- Experience with event planning is an asset.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and a strong ability to start projects and see them through to completion.
- Self-motivated, exceptional time management skills, and the ability to work
- Educational background: This is an entry-level position. College diploma or some university preferred, but not required. Applicants must be a student.
Time Commitment :
Full-Time with flexibility for some evenings and weekends – Must be available May 25, 2017. Positions are for 16 weeks from April-August 2017.
Posted 20 days ago