- Morganton, GA
- Job Type
Project Chimps, a chimpanzee sanctuary located on 236 acres in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Morganton, Georgia, is accepting applications for the position of Grounds Assistant.
A Grounds Assistant maintains a neat and professional appearance of the grounds and landscape, and cultivates/harvests edible items for the chimpanzees.
- Contributes to a positive and professional organizational culture that promotes Project Chimps’ values, mission, and vision
- Maintains grounds appearance
- Identifies and cuts branches of non-toxic trees, bushes, and vines for provision to the chimpanzees
- Plants, cultivates, and harvests edible plants for provision to the chimpanzees
- Operates a variety of landscaping equipment and power tools
- Keeps perimeter fencing and electric fencing clear
- Keeps contents of open air structures (e.g. pole barns) organized
- Maintains the health of the ponds
- Assists with light maintenance tasks as needed
- All other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of a High School Diploma or GED required; technical certification or Associate’s/Bachelor’s degree in a landscaping or botany-related field preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Willing and able to work in the vicinity of chimpanzees, who are intelligent, loud, and potentially dangerous great apes. *No direct physical contact with the chimpanzees is permitted
- Ability to work safely and efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to follow directions, be flexible, and use good judgement
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team of individuals with diverse backgrounds, education, and experience
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Because effective communication is essential to maintain safe working conditions and respond effectively to emergencies, the ability to speak, write, and understand English is required.
The following physical requirements are considered to be essential for this position: the ability to stand, walk, run in the face of danger, and climb stairs, 20/20 binocular vision and peripheral vision with or without corrective lenses, the ability to hear with or without hearing aids, the ability to speak with or without assistive devices, the ability to use arms (upper limbs) with a full range of overhead motion, the ability to use hands and fingers, the ability to bend and squat, and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. (22.7 kg) without assistance.
Individuals who are offered a position will also have to meet medical screening and vaccination requirements, and complete a background check. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States. Project Chimps participates in E-Verify.
Project Chimps is an equal opportunity employer.
This position is part-time, 20 hours per week.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume by November 3, 2017.
For more information on Project Chimps, please visit www.projectchimps.org
Posted 8 days ago