Director of Software Development
- Boston, MA
- Job Type
Sea Machines is a fast-growing startup specializing in autonomous technology for marine vessels. We’re passionate about applying practical A.I. to the massive global ocean transportation market. Our products provide ships and workboats the intelligence to work remotely and give maritime operators the tools to effectively communicate with them. Based in Boston and operating globally, the company is crewed by an experienced team of mariners, engineers, coders, and autonomy scientists.
The Director of Software Development will lead our software engineering team and implement the processes and best practices to rapidly scale our system capabilities and product roadmap. Our culture is dynamic, collaborative and biased towards execution. You’re an experienced startup technical leader who knows what it takes to build an innovative product development team.
Sea Machines is venture-funded and we’ve introduced our first product, the Sea Machines 300. We’re located on the East Boston waterfront in historic Jeffries Point, with quick access to the T and water taxis.
- Drive development projects and provide leadership to a talented team of software engineers in an innovative, early-stage startup environment.
- Responsible for planning, validation and delivery of Sea Machines’ software platform components including controls, autonomy, communications, machine vision and system interfaces.
- Develop and integrate next generation on-board and remote user interfaces to deliver an intuitive domain experience for maritime industry professionals.
- Work closely with product management to introduce responsive product definition, tracking, release and field trial processes.
- Design, resource and implement scalable quality assurance and testing processes for validating and reporting system performance.
- Collaborate with other functional teams to seamlessly integrate software and hardware systems.
- Drive the delivery of IP protection and cybersecurity solutions.
- Facilitate team stand-ups, planning, and design reviews as scrum master and functional manager.
Requirements and Skills
- You’ve done this before – you have startup experience leading software teams developing and qualifying software for electromechanical hardware systems.
- You’ve built processes, you’ve built teams. You roll up your sleeves and are a player-coach.
- You’re able to think big and small – you translate and communicate product architecture, roadmap and strategy into measurable development objectives and team deliverables.
- Demonstrated practical experience implementing software development best practices, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous integration, build processes, testing, and operations.
- A track record of planning and delivering complex software development projects on-schedule and budget, while providing regular project status visibility across functions and to senior management.
- Hands-on proficiency implementing Agile methods and tools.
- 10+ years of experience in software product development with at least 5 years in a team leadership position.
- Bachelor’s degree in software engineering or a similar discipline. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Proficiency using both Linux and Windows operating systems and familiarity with embedded systems.
- Proficiency in C, C#, C++, Python programming language and SQL. Familiarity with MOOS desired.
- Experience with implementing communication protocols such as RS232, RS485, TCP/IP, UDP, and CAN.
Posted 26 days ago