Construction Field Technician (MI)
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Job Type
Somat Engineering, Inc. (Somat) is seeking experienced field technicians in our Grand Rapids, Michigan, office. The technician positions we are looking to fill have responsibility for performing materials quality control inspection and testing.
This individual is required to have some practical knowledge of science or engineering; and a practical knowledge of mathematics or computer science. A Somat technician performs a variety of standardized tests using established methods. Prepares test specimens, adjusts and operates testing equipment, and records test data.
This individual is required to demonstrate a minimum of 1 year of practical experience performing construction material testing and special inspections on commercial construction projects. Individual must be willing to work in a team setting, be punctual, detail orientated, communicative, and be willing to complete comprehensive measurement, computing, reporting, and documentation along with following standard processes, procedures, and report standards.
Relevant project experience as demonstrated on a resume should include the following: Steel Reinforcement Observation, Concrete Testing, In-Place Nuclear Density Testing, Earthwork Observation, Fire-Proofing Inspection (including field testing and sampling), Masonry Observation, Masonry Testing, Structural Grout Observation and Testing, Waterproofing Observation, Roofing Observation, Proofroll Subgrade Evaluations, Foundation Observation & Bearing Capacity Testing, etc.
Typical duties include:
- Performing in-place density testing to monitor backfill and fill material compliance with project
- compaction specifications.
- Monitoring bituminous pavement placement operations and performing in-place nuclear density testing to monitor pavement compliance with project specifications.
- Monitoring concrete placement operations and performing appropriate standard field tests and molding compressive strength test cylinders.
- Laboratory testing of soil and other construction materials.
- Documentation of field and laboratory data.
- Attend project/progress meetings when requested.
- Field verification of design parameters for construction of foundations.
Posted 2 years ago