- Toronto, ON
- Job Type
You love to create. We are looking for an experienced industrial designer with corroborated experience designing consumer electronic products. The successful candidate will be a qualified and well-rounded designer able to balance a combination of technical engineering, industrial/product design, packaging design, visual/graphic design and UI design with a beautiful eye for ideation and conceptualization.
We are looking for an individual capable of overseeing our junior team while delivering products and ideas from conception to production. Sketching and digital idea communication is an absolute must. This role reports directly to the Founder and Director, Drew Henson. We are a dynamic small team looking for someone who can offer a unique personality to our great working environment. The Industrial Designer will be responsible for project leading and mentoring junior designers to deliver on short and long term objective. We are currently designing in the wearable technology sector, for both software and hardware with launches coming this fall.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Innovate original product and packaging concepts using strong industrial design skills and mechanical engineering principals.
- Prepare new product concepts in 2D analogue/digital and 3D CAD geometry and rendering.
- Sketching ideation concepts
- Consult with external manufacturers, Engineers and/or production specialists, to prepare product specifications and meet design requirements.
- Coordinate team meetings to offer and gather unique opinions on brand identity and product direction.
- Execute the designs and revise with the team on a project by project basis.
- Conduct research into trends, target user, competitive products, cost, production materials and methods of production to develop Mood Boards and research reports.
- Communicate and prepare design briefings, reports and findings.
- Consult and negotiate with clients and present project proposals.
- Prepare CMFs, manufacturing drawings, specifications and guidelines for production in deck documentation.
- Prepare BOM’s and do production cost analysis
- Analyse user behaviour and product preferences to create UI and functionality flow charts.
- Construct design prototypes and prepare test reports.
- Minimum 2-3 years of active Product Design role
- Bachelors in Industrial Design, Product Design or similar
- Previous job experience in a consumer electronic products company of at least 1 year
- Documented track record of work on products delivered to market
- Portfolio of product design (less than 5MB, or link)
- Advanced understanding of materials and manufacturing processes.
- Spatial and form perception to review the technical work of departments and project teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to explain proposals and prepare and present design reports
- Solid comprehension of the design process
- Expert Ability to use 3D CAD modelling program (we use Fusion360), - Expert 3D Product Rendering, Adobe CC Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, In-Design, Premiere) and Microsoft Office
- Ability to analyse and test products and derive testing platforms for new products
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly with use of computer aided graphic design
- Design for 3D Printing
- Professional level of Graphic Design
- Web and mobile UI flow experience
- Packaging design experience
- Ability to use project management software such as Basecamp
- Able to travel a light international schedule annually
- Strong product knowledge of current wearable technology landscape
- Basic photography skills - Graphic tablet rendering skills
- Innovative portfolio examples
- Knowledge of web and print standards
- Social Media Strategy competent
- Engineering-only experienced candidates will not be considered.
- Applicants without a portfolio will not be considered.
Posted 30 days ago